Quick instructions on how to use F-Secure Anti-Virus for DOS (F-Prot)
Download the following files (right-click + Save Link As...)
Then, follow the steps below:
- Open the fp-312d.zip file with, e.g. Winzip (can be downloaded from http://www.winzip.com).
- Extract the files to a desired directory, e.g.
C:\F-PROT, and copy then all .def files there, overwriting the old ones.
- If possible, reboot the computer in MS-DOS mode. If this is not possible, you can also run F-Prot under Windows (select Command prompt/MS-DOS prompt from the Start menu), but then the virus scanner might not be able to access all the files.
- On the command line, type "c:", "cd \f-prot" and finally "f-prot". Or, if under Windows, just browse to f-prot.exe and execute it.
- Select "Scan". After this, select "Action: Disinfect/Query". Finally, select "Start".
- If any viruses are found, select "A" (All) after the first one to disinfect/remove all of them.
To immediately start F-Prot, enter the following command:
C:\F-PROT\F-PROT.EXE /AUTO /HARD /DISINF /REPORT=F-PROT.LOG /APPEND
Check the F-PROT.LOG file by opening it (in DOS mode, you can use, e.g. the command
edit c:\f-prot\f-prot.log). If viruses are found and they are only in the EXE/DLL files (not e.g. in your mailbox file), run the following command:
C:\F-PROT\F-PROT.EXE /AUTO /HARD /DELETE /REPORT=F-PROT.LOG /APPEND
This second command will remove all the infected files. If the removed files include any important Windows system files, they have to be restored from a backup or from the original installation CD-rom.
Removal tools for various viruses and worms can be downloaded from
It is recommended that the removal tool be run at least for the Klez and Yaha because they require special disinfection routine. The instructions on how to use these tools are included in their zip files (as a .txt file).